Seekers of the Lavished Wilderness

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Seekers of the Lavished Wilderness

Welcome to the Seekers!

Education on Grammar

Bruno
    Bruno
    Admin

Education on Grammar Empty Education on Grammar

Post  Bruno Sun May 27, 2012 12:47 pm

I know, not everyone knows how to use proper grammar and spell things correctly. Well, I'm here to give you the basic knowledge on proper grammar.

Distinguish from Possessive to Contraction
    I've seen many people use 'It's' instead of 'Its' when meaning a possessive noun. Remember, the possessive noun is not two words; it is a single word, its. For example; "The dog was sleeping. Its eyes were neatly closed." Now, the correct way to do a contraction is to add an apostrophe. Mostly with it's do I see this problem. Sometimes people really mean it's when they say its, but remember; it's is a contraction for the words 'it is', not a possessive noun. For example; "The bird squawked in the trees. It's very annoying."

Then and Than
    Then and Than are very hard to distinguish. I know many people who're experts in grammar and still make that mistake. Remember; then is a point in time, than is a comparison. For example; "I have more cards than my friend." Than is a comparison word and should be used as such. Then is a different story. Many people use then when really meaning than. Then is a word that usually means another point in time. For example; "First, we need to water the plant. Then we need to watch it grow."

More information will be added.

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:00 am